Model Job Description
Under general direction, an EHR technician/HIM analyst accesses, inputs, and retrieves information, and solves complex problems using various computer systems. This person acts as the liaison for physician offices. Responsible for verification of completed dictation into system. Performs quality monitoring of patient information in transcribed reports. Trains and mentors HIM technicians and may act as a lead, as necessary. Trains and mentors health information management (HIM) staff. Coordinates work flow on the systems and processes. Performs quality monitoring and participates in activities to improve outcomes for the integrity of the electronic health record (EHR).
- Strong understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, as well as disease processes, pathology, and treatment techniques, surgery process and instrumentation, and pharmacology.
- Ability to interpret technical jargon and translate abbreviations into their expanded forms.
- Strong knowledge of HIPAA regulations, Joint Commission standards, and other healthcare regulatory bodies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with proven ability to convey complex information to a variety of audiences.
- Strong group processing, coaching, and interpersonal and social perceptiveness skills required.
- Knowledgeable in all areas of documentation and a minimum of two years of experience in medical transcription training/editing is required.
- Demonstrated advanced ability to operate computer, multiple software applications (Microsoft Office, dictation/transcription platforms, etc.), and other equipment as necessary.
- Proficient in referencing, researching, reporting, tracking and monitoring, and in-depth knowledge of medical transcription guidelines (The Book of Style for Medical Transcription by AHDI) and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal or no supervision and as part of a team and to adapt quickly to new technologies.
- Excellent research skills.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent education and experience.
- Two years of experience in health care documentation.
- Preferred Credentials – Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), or Certified Healthcare Documentation Specialist (CHDS).