Model Job Description
This description outlines key areas of proficiency necessary for a speech recognition medical transcription editor. It is important to note that speech recognition is an evolving technology and may include other auto-generated medical texts and technologies. The level of accuracy achieved through the recognition process will impact the competency requirement of the medical transcriptionist.
The speech recognition medical transcription editor (SRMTE) edits speech-recognized drafts and may also transcribe reports by physicians and other healthcare providers in order to document patient care. The responsibilities for a person with basic MT qualifications may vary depending on their demonstration of skill in various work types, specialties, accents, and dialects.
Assignments are given to match his/her skill level with the intention of increasing the depth and/or breadth of exposure, continually improving quality and productivity. As the SRMTE gains expertise in speech-recognition editing, they may serve as a resource to coworkers and dictators within the editing/transcription team researching questions, educating, and coaching coworkers toward an improved level of efficiency and skill.
- Understanding of the medicolegal implications and responsibilities of the healthcare record, ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations, along with security standards and privacy practices.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with time constraints.
- Ability to work independently with minimal or no supervision.
- Organizational skills for file management.
- Actively participates in continuing education
- Maintains and assesses equipment and work area with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates an understanding of area systems, priorities, timelines and goals that contribute to the mission of the department.
- Basic understanding of departmental technology.
- Strong technical proficiency in computer applications so those measurable gains through system efficiencies are continually maximized in conjunction with speech recognition and other technologies available.
- Ability to operate computer, multiple software applications, transcription equipment, and other office equipment necessary, including the ability to accept voice/text files in multiple formats and word processing software.
- Desire to keep up to date and learn latest technology advancements and trends.
- Continually develops understanding of multiple computer applications and document management programs in order to effectively contribute and adapt to the changing healthcare environment.
- Developing ability to work in all work types and specialties.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, disease processes, signs and symptoms, medications, and laboratory values.
- Developing quality transcription work with a goal of maintaining accuracy score of 98% or higher.
- Knowledge of medical transcription guidelines (The AHDI Book of Style) and practices.
- Developing ability to understand diverse accents, dialects, and varying dictation styles, commonly confused terms, and knowledge of homonyms.
- Proficient in referencing and researching with full library of references (books/electronic) and Internet access.
- Acute auditory sensitivity and keen hand/eye coordination, as would be expected in medical transcription.
- Edit a speech recognized draft document against actual dictation.
- Edit documents consistently in order to maximize the efficiencies gained through recognition.
- Utilize all available reference tools to ensure the accuracy of the transcribed document.
- Recognize, interpret, and evaluate inconsistencies, discrepancies, and inaccuracies in medical text drafts and/or dictation appropriately to clarify, flag, or report them, as needed.
- Adhere to policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency of the transcription department.
- Transcribe reports as required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including grammar, punctuation, and style, in order to provide quality feedback to the transcriptionist.
- Communicate and interact productively with management personnel with objective feedback as needed.